AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low or no salt diet.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jwal10
Posted 3/19/2023 20:36 (#10148575 - in reply to #10146885)
Subject: RE: Low or no salt diet.

Western Oregon
I was put on a no salt, low cholesterol diet and meds at 19, will be 67 in a few days. I only took meds for 6 mos, made me very sick and nearly ruined my liver and kidneys. First thing I did was no salt when cooking. No prepared foods. We have a garden and can without salt. We have always had a small greenhouse to extend the garden season. Companion planting herbs that not only help keep pests away but taste good together. Things that just need a little salt ( like Macaroni salad) get sea salt sprinkled on very lightly after serving, not stirred in. I use a small McCormick grinder, one lasts more than a year. It does not take much because it is right there for taste buds to get the full affect. We eat fish 4 times a week usually over a wood fire, some elk, venison, wild turkey and a few yard birds, oven roasted. Never was much of a red meat eater. Very few spices, mostly fresh herbs from a window sill and the garden. I don't grill much, we like smoke from a wood fire for flavor, have lots of fruit woods, alder and cedar for fish. Meat these days is more for flavor, no more than 3 oz., once or twice a week, except fish. I make chili with ground elk, black or pinto beans, onion, celery, bell pepper and chili powder. No more beans than we eat, I use canned but soak and rinse good. We use a lot of chives and a good fresh black pepper grinder. A little butter ( we make our own from goat milk) and chives goes a long way for flavoring vegetables. No garlic here. Wife and I may use 1/2 a small bottle of olive oil a year. We are small older people and very little spice makes life easier anyway....James

Edited by jwal10 3/19/2023 20:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)