AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you use a password manager service?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mark in NEMO
Posted 2/16/2023 19:17 (#10098226 - in reply to #10092661)
Subject: RE: Do you use a password manager service?

Northeast Missouri
Nope. I use one of several keyboard macro programs called Macro Express to automate typing, so that it can type ",,something" (where "something" is a 3-character (or sometimes longer) string which is shorthand for what I want to type. Macro express then replaces that with what I want. Examples:

,,natf = https://newagtalk.com/forums/
,,accg = accounting
,,mrw = [types out my full name]
,,addr1 = [first line of my mailing address]

And I also use it to store login passwords. For instance, to login to BigIron, I type:

,,pwbigiron = ...types my current BigIron.com password.
,,pwshoup = ...types my current password for shoupparts.com

(All of my password macros begin with "pw".)

For sites which require you to change your password from time to time, all I have to do is enter the new password in Macro Express. I can still login to the site by typing the same ",,pwWhatever" character string.

Yes, this is less automated than a password manager, but it is easy, and essentially *unhackable*. Someone would have to hack into my Windows system (not too hard) but they'd also have to know I use Macro Express, and where my Macro Express database is stored, and how my passwords are stored there.

(I've always avoided password managers because the mere popularity of *any* piece of software is part of what makes it enticing for hackers to hack into...and the data mined from a password manager can be worth gold.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)