AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey you can't park there,...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/23/2023 06:03 (#10054377 - in reply to #10053974)
Subject: Yes Kelly,...

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
That guy was out there over a mile, it's the only road into this allotment for 12 miles or so. The bush had been burned out of the area and county had rebuilt it 3 years ago. From highway you look down it and can see for a long ways as its straight. My son had slowed down and happened to see something, at first son said it looked like a black post, he then saw dogs. Got glasses out and then could make out it was a man walking.

The rest of the story was this man was going into visit the sheep herder that was out by our cattle. It was his days off, he got stuck going in. The sheep outfit when I called them to let them know we picked him up didn't even know this guy was out there. This guy had called his brother to pick him up. My son said the brother chewed on this younger brother for being out there when he got there to pick him up.

Snow wasn't bad in most places, it was drifts that would hang you up. That's what got us stuck, we were trying to save some miles. We should have boondocked it across the country going to check last water system. We try to stick to roads as much as you can, run the risk of smacking a lava rock boondocking.

We where in no danger, pently of clothes, gas, snacks, rifles. We had a dozen people that knew where we were, plus we also had two people on sleds working with us. We stop and call each other to tell everyone which location we are at. So if you ever had to go looking you get to area pretty fast. This area is over 100,000 acres we run on. We where trying to get a good assessment where cattle were at, if any bunched up in trouble after a week of bad winds.

My mistake was not putting electric winch in son's truck. It fits into front receiver on bumpers. It would have pulled us out to high ground and could have gotten ourselves out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)