AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power Line Easement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

J_Wagfrm
Posted 12/2/2022 07:46 (#9961036)
Subject: Power Line Easement

South Western Michigan
Our family farmed for years until my grandfather passed 8 years ago and the farm was liquidated. Many years prior to the liquidation of the farm my father started a repair shop licensed in automobile and heavy truck repair and we also do a fair amount of farm equipment repair. This repair business is what my father, two brothers and myself continue to operate for employment to this day and we make a decent living. I joined this forum when we still farmed and continue to lurk here today because of the vast array of knowledge here. Thats the background...

Our current shop that we repair automobiles in and use as a headquarters for our on location heavy truck and farm equipment repair business sits next to a power line. The power company is expanding the line and therefore needing a wider right of way. Their new right of way would take approximately 1/3rd of our humble shop which in our minds renders it useless. The first offer they presented us was simply for the ground the building sits on for the sum of a few thousand dollars. The gentleman that showed up on a Sunday afternoon to present the offer acted baffled that there was an existing structure in the proposed right of way even though it clearly shows it in the drawing. He said he would have to do some research and get back with us. In his last conversation with my father, he was trying to get a $ figure out of us that would make us happy. We have been planning on building a larger shop on this property that would end up being several hundred feet from the new right of way, but we were in no particular hurry to do so. If they were to offer the right amount of money, we would simply put that towards the new building and put one up much sooner than planned. We're hesitant to give him our number because we are unsure if it's too much or not enough.

Obviously, there are many more details to this whole thing but this is the simplified version. For those of you who have dealt with similar situations what say you? Any advise or experience to share?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)