AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How is your wheat harvest progress?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 6/28/2009 02:48 (#759198 - in reply to #759111)
Subject: Finished

West Union, Illinois

190 acres with 2166 w/20 ft platform and specialty rotor, new SCH cutting system, new rotor bars.  Yields and test weight about the same, more or less 54

elevators keep ... uping the test weight dock. One elevator is $1.34 dock on 52# wheat
At least they will take it. Here (about an hour NE of you) the elevator is rejecting anything below 54 pound test weight.

We had 2 varieties planted this year.  The first 2 fields we were in came out light but easily above the minimum weight.  Samples were clean, guys at the elevator commented ours was the cleanest of any they were getting.

Changed fields to a different variety and we could not get a clean sample.  broken heads, white caps, chaff, just messy.  And it was a real struggle to stay above 54 pounds.  We even went so far as to ask the local dealer's combine guy to stop by and look it over and see what he could suggest.  We told him all we had done, and he commented we had done everything he knew how to do.

Interesting note, the first variety is something no longer available and of course we didn't think to save any.  The second variety is one I saved and cleaned.  I didn't clean out enough so bought some "new" of that variety that had seed treatment on it for the last 2 fields we planted.  The wheat with seed treatment had a 1/2 pound to pound better test weight and significantly better yield.

We were close to having to bin everything and run it through the Clipper Cleaner to bring up the test weight.

Most common comment heard in line at the elevator "I may not even raise any wheat next year".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)