AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Texas drought
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

DCW-TX
Posted 7/4/2022 10:00 (#9733223 - in reply to #9732643)
Subject: RE: Texas drought

Aggie Farmer - 7/3/2022 21:28

Its getting worse. The further west you get from Fort Worth, the grass gets sparser. Majority of the dryland cotton out west hasn't ever emerged and is sitting in dry dirt. They are getting zeroed out by insurance. I'm about 30 miles south of Fort Worth. Any corn that could be chopped has been already and we will probably start shelling corn in a couple weeks. We average 38" of rain a year but have only received 13'' so far this year. Last year at this time, we were well over 40" by July. Bunch of ground was prevent planted and the fields and pasture smelled like a stagnant crawdad hole. My how things change. This year, hay is scarce even for the east Texas piney woods where it rains more. Drought started last Fall. Here, we were lucky enough to get one rain to get our wheat up. Those guys in West Texas that are zeroing out there cotton right now zeroed out there wheat planted last Fall because it never rained.

We average 47" and are at 8.5-11" for the year. Almost done with milo. Did better than I thought it'd do. Have heard of lots of alfa toxin in corn. We'll start corn end of this week. I was finishing milo last year on July 30.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)