AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader auto swath not working
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/17/2022 06:08 (#9663594 - in reply to #9663426)
Subject: Disagree on mandatory Boundaries

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I disagree. Having a boundary has its advantages but it is NOT absolutely necessary for auto swath to work with an Ag Leader system. I believe it is with some other systems. Some of our fields have boundaries but most do NOT and auto swath works fine for us. This has been my method of operations with Insights, Integra and now InCommand 1200. Of the fields that we have planted/sprayed this Spring probably only one or two have boundaries. The other reply indicates that he has had problems when not having a boundary. He has obviously experienced problem by not using a boundary but we have not. Having a good up to date accurate boundary is considered good practice although we rarely do this.

Boundaries are helpful in that the can prevent "flyers" (bad GPS points that shrink the maps) and other aspects. They can be helpful in that the system will not apply outside an outer boundary which is usually good but could be your problem. There are also inner boundaries which again can be very useful to create "islands" within a field where you want auto swath to stop applying. In general, auto swath will stop applying if you are outside an outer boundary or inside an inner boundary. Remember that auto swath will not allow a "second" application of the same product unless the system has been informed that this is a second application.

Our approach is to Picture Frame the area with auto swath inactive. By Picture Frames, I mean to drive an outer pass completely around the area to be sprayed. Then we apply within the picture framed area with auto swath active. As we approach a headland to turn around, we let auto swath shut the sections OFF and then flip the Master OFF to prevent any surprises, turn around and when all boom sections are back over the picture framed area, flip the Master back ON, then as we enter the unsprayed area, auto swath will turn the sections on for us. Some would argue that it should not be necessary to use the Master at all in these situations. Maybe not but it does prevent surprises such as when the tip of an outer boom section reaches beyond the picture framed area. I admit that having a boundary would prevent this if the boundary is correct for the current year, but we get along fine with the method described above. The above procedure of using the Master on each headland is for spraying situations and does not apply to our planter (ground drive) with an implement switch. The Master is typically left ON in normal operation.

I suspect there you made some type of error when creating the new boundary. I'm guessing the fact that you have a "bad" boundary is the problem rather than not having a boundary at all. If you feel that you absolutely must have a boundary then I would delete any previous boundaries for the field and try again.

It is possible to have a field with two distinct outer boundaries (maybe more) if it is done properly. For example suppose your field is a rectangle with a waterway cutting off the top corner at an angle. That means there is a portion of the field that is just the triangle and the majority of the field is the rectangle less that triangle. Approach #1, create two fields each with their own boundary and spray each field by itself. This might be fine but maybe it is desirable to spray the field as one but have auto swath shut the booms off over the waterway. Approach #2. Have only the one field but have two separate distinct outer boundaries. One boundary would be the triangle portion created by the waterway and the other the balance of the field on the other side of the waterway. Then the field could be sprayed straight across the waterway if that is desirable. Auto swath would only allow application within each boundary. The trick to doing this is that each boundary must be an enclosed area that returns to its starting point.

Edited by tedbear 5/18/2022 09:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)