AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Direct Command Aux Input Module Master Switch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/11/2022 21:09 (#9656880 - in reply to #9656763)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Direct Command Aux Input Module Master Switch

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
That is the nature of the Aux Input Module. Ag Leader uses a concept called Switch Presence to detect which of the possible inputs actually has a switch on it. If you were to connect a common 2 terminal SPST switch to 12V and the Master pin, it would work but with as much as a 15 second delay.

The switch needs to be a SPDT switch. These switches have 3 terminals. With the switch up, the center terminal connects to the bottom terminal. With the switch down the center terminal connects to the upper terminal. In other words the common which goes to F1 for the Master is always connected to 12V or a special pin called Switch Detect.

The Ag Leader system does a check on all the potential switch locations to see "who is out there and where". This switch detect routine is very fast and checks all the potential switch locations. If the switch is what we would consider "ON", it would be connected to 12V and return 12V to F1, If the switch is the other way which we would consider "OFF", it is connected to the Switch Detect Source which during this brief time is also 12V but otherwise ground. That means the system can build an internal chart of which switches are present. From then on, it will only check the locations that it believes have a switch present.

Once again you may not believe all this but let me assure you this is how it works. So what's the solution? Use a SPDT switch for the Master and all section switches or trick the system into thinking the switch is a SPDT type with diodes.

Since you might want to use the original switches with the Aux Input Module, Ag Leader makes a special wiring harness that includes diodes to perform this trickery. I have spent a lot of time making special switch boxes and using SPDT switches or diodes is necessary.

So why do they sometimes work and sometimes have a big delay and then work? It all depends on the timing, if the switch was actually on (connected to 12V), the switch detect routine happened to be run, the system would believe there is a Master switch present and check for it. Instant success.

On the other hand, if you had the Master OFF and it wasn't connected to the switch presence pin, the system would not bother to check for the Master and you would get no action until the next round of the check which could be 15 seconds later.

Believe me or not, but this is how it works.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)