AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Kerry finally does something right - for a change
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 6/25/2009 20:54 (#757034 - in reply to #754791)
Subject: Re: John Kerry finally does something right - for a change

Well, you have me stumped on how my profile pic has anything to do with iPhone envy - which I freely admit to having a severe case of! ;)

As for the cut-n-paste issue - I agree that Apple was late out of the gate on this. HOWEVER, knowing Apple & Steve Jobs, it was probably a calculated decision to hold off until 3.0. Jobs is a genius when it comes to this sort of thing - and with the iPhone pretty much leading the pack in smartphone innovation (for the most part), they are in a good position to withhold certain features to use as a dangling carrot in new hardware releases. They can and have successfully created demand for new units by the bleeding edge crowd using this technique. Take for instance the iPhone 3G vs the new 3GS - video capability is incorporated into the 3GS model, but unavailable for the 3G. Jailbreakers can add video apps to the older models, proving that they are fully capable. Now, we have hundreds of thousands of 3G owners screaming that they have to pay full price to upgrade to a 3GS because they are stuck in a 2 yr contract! ;)

I can see Android eventually giving the iPhone a run for it's money - BUT, it is going to take some better quality phones from manufacturers to do it. Nothing on the market yet is comparing to the iPhone as far as quality build goes. There are already reports of the Pre suffering from cracked and scratched screens. There are quite a number of touch smartphones on the market now, but none of them are giving the iPhone much reason to worry - yet. I think that a good, open OS will not gain too much ground unless the consumer can get their hands on phones that will last. If and when that happens, I can see the same results as the computer market. The "open" standard may overtake the iPhone, but may very well suffer from the same issues as Windows - viruses, etc. Apple will no doubt keep their OS locked down in order to control what is going on out there as they are very much about user experience. They will allow market share to suffer in order to maintain a secure and standardized user experience in all the apps they allow on their devices.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)