AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere Sprayer with Ez-boom
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/13/2009 07:25 (#743420 - in reply to #742885)
Subject: RE: John Deere Sprayer with Ez-boom

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Longshot - 6/12/2009 17:25

I would like to connect my Ez-boom to my Joystick master switch instead of using the foot switch. Does anyone have any Ideas?

Yes, that might be handy. The joystick button on my 4720 is a momentary type. Since EZ-Boom and Ag Leaders Insight for that matter need a true On/Off switch, it could be difficult to use the original Joystick switch for this added new purpose.

With my Insight in my 4720 where the Deere system must still run the rate but the Direct Command is monitoring the rate and running the Autoswath, I use a foot switch for the Master and leave the Deere Master ON all the while I'm spraying a field.

Once Autoswath has shut off all the booms, I click the footswitch which assures that no booms will come on unexpectedly turn my turn. Once I am safely back over the current field, I click the footswitch again allowing Autoswath to bring the booms back ON as it sees fit. This would be very much like your situation.

For me, this wasn't much of a problem since I had no experience running the Deere in its original setup so I hadn't gotten used to using the Deere joystick button. Earlier this year, I rode with an operator who had been running a Deere sprayer with the joystick button prior to having the Insight installled. It was difficult for him to "unlearn" his previous habits and use the footswitch rather than the Deere switch.

I suppose it might be possible to intercept the joystick wiring and use a 5V latching coil so that clicking the Joystick button momentarily would cause the relay to latch. Clicking it again would cause it to unlatch. My fear is that the Deere system will sense the added load of the coil in the relay and report back an error message. Most of these systems don't like a person just tapping in.

Possibly a relay could be wired to cycle in sync with the LED indicator in the Joystick button. This indicator is not momentary and is lit when the Joystick master is ON and unlit when it is OFF. This is the exact action that is necessary for the Master.

My gut feeling is that this might not be a good plan and probably wouldn't be real easy. If it were the kits for these rigs would include such a scheme. Running an additonal wire out of Joysticks is often difficult as I have done this with other brands.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)