AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bobby Greif Sprayer History - Not War & Peace II
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 6/10/2009 17:04 (#740012 - in reply to #739237)
Subject: Bobby, our experiences in farming always seem to parallel.

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

Great job on the spraying history, Bobby.  Must have been some reason other than the fact that we are within a few months of the same age that started us discussing things.

Dad's sprayers were similiar, except our first pump ran off the belt pully of the M International Farmall.  Later, Dad bought a 40' aluminum boom that mounted on the front of the M, with two 55's on the back, PTO pump.

We banded one of the first bean herbicides, I believe it was Amiben, (I say we, Dad's idea, John sent out to do the job) long before anyone locally did such a thing.  I found it very difficult to spray a 14" band on the bean rows after planting, but it did a good enough job that weeds were better controlled after cultivating three times or so.  At that time, nobody could afford to spray 100%, or so we believed locally.

Then treflan pre plant went through the same sprayer, no foam markers, so lots of streaks, but incorporation was not very good, so nobody knew much difference.  Hard to tell if John couldn't drive straight, or if the disk didn't incorporate, or if it didn't rain soon enough. 

2-4-D on corn with drops kept me busy after lay-by, I was aggrivated because lay-by usually meant a rest before harvest, and I was still in the field.

I won't say much more, you pretty well covered the subject, and I don't want to steal your thunder.

No good weed control until round-up beans, though.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)