AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Combine is this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/15/2022 09:49 (#9441202 - in reply to #9439903)
Subject: Yes, likely an A6

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Big Ben - 1/14/2022 15:13

ks8780 - 1/14/2022 11:45

Just a guess but maybe a Case A6.

My first thought was Case A6 also, an older one.

It appears that you are correct. I have not seen an older one with the round gravity tank. I do admit that the famous Wisconsin engine and the pickup appear to be the same as I remember. Dad used his with the pickup for harvesting grain (mostly oats). The pickup drum was removed for direct cutting of soybeans.

The combine in the picture looks like ours as far as the pickup drum. This drum with spring tines on it was attached in front of the sickle and guards. A slotted assembly went between the pickup drum and the belt. The sickle, guards etc. for direct cutting remained on the combine but didn't do anything useful when the pickup drum was attached. It was my job to do the "conversion" between crops. The pickup drum and filler assembly were removed for direct cutting.

Dad usually used the Ford tractor with a drawbar on the 3 point to pull the combine in soybeans. He would watch the head (2 wide rows) and raise/lower the 3 point for adjusting the cutting height across the field. It was my first experience with "header height control".

Since we had livestock, we needed bedding. The straw from harvesting the oats was just dropped in a windrow to be picked up by the baler. Sometimes Dad would run part of the field through the combine a second time which broke up the straw even more. This made very nice bedding for sows and their baby pigs. Several years later we baled some of the bean straw for bedding also. It was good for absorbing moisture, but hard to handle. We had a neighbor who participated as a Rodeo Cowboy so he had a pair of chaps. These came in handy for loading the bean straw bales.

Edited by tedbear 1/15/2022 09:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)