AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CAT engine stalls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

CATGUY
Posted 6/1/2009 20:51 (#729548 - in reply to #729326)
Subject: RE: CAT engine stalls

Iowa
Your first sentence tells me to suspect that one (of the two) one-way check valves has flipped over inside the hand priming pump. This will cause a restriction to fuel flow and an engine will usually get just enough fuel to idle, BUT not enough fuel to have any power. I also assume that you used this hand pump AFTER you reinstalled the engine and maybe the one-way check valve "flipped" during priming. I am also worried about your fuel lines and fittings. Any loose fittings? Any damaged or dented fuel lines during removal or installation of that engine? Are there any rubber fuel lines that are old and getting brittle on this tractor? Maybe the rubber (of those old lines) has cracked internally and is causing a fuel restriction(especially If you had to move/bend them during engine removal). If we had it in the shop; We would attach a fuel pressure gauge to the top of the injection pump, hook up a "sight glass" to the incoming fuel line at the front, top of the injection pump, and we would also have a restriction gauge "tee'd" into that sight glass so we could see how hard the little fuel transfer pump has to "pull" to get fuel to the injection pump.[maximum restriction is 8" Hg(mercury) and you should have nice solid-looking fuel coming thru the sight glass. No "medium to big" bubbles of air entering the fuel injection pump. ] As others have mentioned, IF the fuel restriction is too great, then that little, internal transfer pump(built in at the front of the injection pump) tries to suck whereever it can. Sometimes at the rear throttle shaft seal="sucking air";;;;; sometimes at the front transfer pump lipseal="sucking air";;;;;; sometimes at the fuel filter rubber seal surfaces or at the glass water separator mounting o-rings="sucking air".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)