AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Coccidiosis
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Doug61
Posted 11/23/2021 21:35 (#9337748 - in reply to #9337056)
Subject: RE: Coccidiosis

Eastern NE KS
When I see bloody scours, I add Sustain 3 boluses (one treatment lasts 3 days). Continue the amprid at treatment level. Do not assume sick calves are drinking treated water most likely they are sipping a bit.

My calves a home raised, one bunch per year; certainly lower risk than your situation. My calves will 80%+ come to feed day 1.

Over the years I have bounced from deccox to rumensin to my current go to choice, lasalocid ie bovatec. Full rate of this ionophore is allowed day 1. The last 3 years receive bovatec alone. Amprid has not been needed over that time. My plan is if a calf breaks with cocci I will treat/tube with amprid 5 days at treatment level, and 1 maybe 2 rounds of Sustain 3. Sick calves are isolated to sick pen to reduce stress/competition and contamination of healthy calves.

Rumensin worked fine after a few days at full rate but label requires 5 day warmup at low rate. I had poor luck with deccox. That was at least 10 years ago. Based on other users comments, I was surprised. My journey was slow at improving. I was slow at accepting the fact I could have a outbreak after the 28 day prevention period. 2) My feed supplier wouldn't handle an ionophore in their feed. (Found new supplier) And 3) partner struggled with the severity of this problem. We let a replacement heifer stall out with no growth for months. She missed motherhood.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)