AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best Internships for Ag College Students
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

timis
Posted 11/15/2021 22:32 (#9323045 - in reply to #9319462)
Subject: RE: Best Internships for Ag College Students

Iowa
I went to a 2 year cc 20 years ago for ag business. My daughter is in high school so this is exactly what I tell her. I think I had 5 internships over the course of this time, 2 in agronomy, 1 in grain accounting, 1 as a grunt in a Feedmill, 1 dumping wagons running a grain dump. The best thing she can do is understand where those that may work under her are coming from. I ended up in agronomy, but I learned the most cleaning fines out of the dryer at 10:30pm Friday night, bucketing liquid fat out of an Feedmill basement when someone overfilled the tank. Those experiences suck, but when you’re on the other side, it teaches you not to be a prick to those around you. (As an intern it’s different than high school jobs, you’re officially an adult, and youre a “college kid” ) In my experience, very few 4 year graduates will roll up their sleeves and get dirty if it needs to be done. You can always learn more book knowledge, learning to relate to people and work hard is something that must be experienced. The most important lesson any college kid can learn is they don’t have all the answers, that takes humility. The people with humility that are looking to learn climb the ladder faster, regardless of what degree they have. One of my classmates got a job as a grunt at a research farm - I always figured that woulda been pretty cool. A couple of my internships were at coops, so I got to spend some time in each division, so I figured out what I liked and what I didn’t.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)