AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Barnyard Machinery (Hydrant)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dave morgan
Posted 5/27/2009 13:16 (#724602 - in reply to #724585)
Subject: Re: Barnyard Machinery (Hydrant)

Somerville, Indiana
That hydrant adapter deal you posted a link to, looks very interesting. They are calling back after dinner.

We have been lucky? Haven't had a hydrant to fail since I can remember and we got some old ones. One is shallow-plus not enough gravel-drain, and we have taken a steel 5 gallon bucket with top and bottom cut up and used it to contain the flare through a hole in the side of the bucket, from a fire bottle. Its been the most abused. Our oldest ones have a square look to them with a latch at the bottom of the lever, twice the casting metal than later hydrants. We have two customers with real old time twist-the-wheel on top of a cast fixture that looks like a small pump.

The top has a brass seal, I am thinking its a packing seal, that adjusts with a 9/16? wrench. That can be too tight and bind the thing some. The square headed set screw on the handle linkage adjusts to set the hydrant rod just to where the rubber? seal at the bottom just barely shuts off the flow of water. Fine sand-gravel can get in the drain hole and bind up that rubber? seal also, I would think. Might scab an air hose to the hydrant with the water turned off and give it a good jolt of air, that would clear away all the small stuff at the bottom hopefully.

I have never lubed an outdoor hydrant, disappointed that it doesn't have a grease fitting on it though.

Edited by dave morgan 5/27/2009 13:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)