AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can't spread soybean chaff evenly
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 10/15/2021 07:08 (#9269832 - in reply to #9269756)
Subject: RE: can't spread soybean chaff evenly

n.c.iowa

There are a couple critical adjustments that have to be made to the whale tail spreaders to get them to spread bean residue effectively.

and when I say critical I mean it. We were HIGHLY disappointed in the spreading job our new to us 7240 did last fall, it was unacceptable and it was a good thing we had a dry spring, and we were only running a 35’ head.

My son bought a larger head, kinda against my wishes, not because I’m against bigger heads but because of the crappy spreading job the combine was doing. He was on point to get it figured out.

So our local dealer has a combine school in august every year, most times it amounts to getting a good meal, some ice cream, and figuring out which mini class presenter is gonna be my victim of unanswerable questions….

so the guy putting on the class on the newer flagships (240-250’s) was my guy.  The spreading issue was only one of several annoying issues with these machines, but most certainly the biggest one.

anyway it came to the point of the class to ask questions to which I asked, “why in heck can’t CNH make a machine that’ll spread bean straw for more than 20ft.”?There were several “yea’s” from the small group

to which the presenter said, “come with me boys, I got something to show you”…..

so on the whale tail there two critical adjustments that have to be switched from standard factory, or corn settings to bean settings.

the first one is when you pickup the windrow chute you’ll see that the whale tail mount is slotted, loosen the bolts and slide the whale tail as close to the impellers as possible. I’ve not done it, but my son has several times now and has said something about taking a couple bolts out to do this, IDK.  Anyway  it sounds like going back to corn it has to be slid back, or destruction is in your future.

next there is a lock bolt with a lever on it between the whale tail halves, loosen this lock bolt and it allows a piece to slid up to close off mostly the gap on the upper side of the whale tail(towards where it mounts) . I myself thought this helped immensely for it appeared to me that a lot of chaff was blowing over the top of the impellers and straight out the back.

We had to replace the lock bolt thingy for my son damaged it trying to get it loose, it was frozen up and we believe the former owner never  adjusted it from new.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)