AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White Mold in NC Wisconsin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 8/5/2021 07:32 (#9147380 - in reply to #9145870)
Subject: RE: White Mold in NC Wisconsin

Amherst WI
pipeman1 - 8/4/2021 09:14

15 inch at 130,000 pop. with conventional tillage, in a corn bean rotation. This year beans got very tall and we've had absolutely perfect conditions for mold the for last month.

That's a perfect storm waiting to happen.

UW is showing even going to 80,000 is a good way to control white mold

Conventional tillage in a corn/soy rotation is an ideal way to have WM as an issue.

I had a service call a few years ago with a customer who had white mold something terrible. Did the same as you but drilled them too. He'd chisel plow after the beans and after the corn. He'd bury the WM on the bean year and then bring it back up on the corn year by chiseling the stalks down. I suggested 30" rows, lower population, less tillage and maybe even a cover crop of oats or rye to keep soil from splashing onto the bean plant and infecting the flowers. I got looked at like I had 7 heads and the coop guy had all the answers so off he went with him.

Could the seed have had better WM tolerance, I'm sure it could have but he also was doing several other cultural practices to encourage the issue that he seemed to not have any interest in fixing. What's the definition of insanity?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)