AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How the best way to clean residue from inside is stainless steal tank?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 7/24/2021 11:31 (#9126803 - in reply to #9126550)
Subject: RE: How the best way to clean residue from inside is stainless steal tank?

Faunsdale, AL
A weak acid solution is used to re-passivate the surface of stainless steel milking equipment.

Most common is phosphoric acid but some that are used as acid sanitizers also use some sulfuric acid to extend the hold time before tank must be resanitized. These are dilute solutions of strong acids. I think you could use an organic acid like propionic or acetic (vinegar) if that’s easier to source.

I would try a small amount brushed on as a test before going whole hog.

I don’t know why but the one time I tried to brighten the cloudy surface of a bulk tank with muriatic acid, it didn’t brighten it at all, just evened up the haze it seemed. Milking equipment is typically 304 stainless steel.

I just sprayed out some Iron-EDTA on some beans and it was surprisingly hard to get it all rinsed out of the plastic tank on my sprayer. But I think on the plastic, it’s more of an indicator of something else stuck on the surface when it doesn’t rinse off completely. Not sure how it would behave on stainless steel.

Edited by ccjersey 7/24/2021 12:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)