AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ BOOM this is long, please read, need feedback
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/17/2009 10:04 (#716243 - in reply to #716223)
Subject: EZ-Boom Problem Solver Box Idea

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Here's an idea that may be useful with EZ-Boom situations such as have been discribed above.

It combines several ideas into one box. This idea is still in my head but I believe it to be workable.

This box would have a 16 Pin Amp connector IN and a 16 Pin Amp connector OUT. It would be installed between the EZ-Boom and the Raven console cable currently being used.

The box would pass many of the wires "straight through" but intercept and modify others. If the box does not work, it could easily be removed and "nobody would be the wiser".

Here's how I'm thinking I would build this box. Since all the wires other than speed pass through this box, I can pick up a lot of information.The Master passes through on Pin 10 and would be "hot" whenever the Master is ON. This would be the trigger for a DPDT relay.

The DPDT relay would connect to Pins 3 & 4 coming out of the EZ-Boom (these are the standard control wires) to Pins 3 & 4 going out of my box. Thus when any booms are ON, the EZ-Boom control will be connected to the output as usual.

The other terminals on the DPDT would be connected to a DPDT momentary switch which is the Manual control valve adjust. The DPDT momentary switch is wired in the criss-cross fashion so that pushing the switch UP causes the center terminals to go + and -. Pushing the switch DOWN causes the center terminals to go - and +.

Finally a pair of LEDs would be wired across the output lines going to the control valve.

Why all this? In normal operation, the box really does nothing but show the action of the control valve circuit on the LEDs which may be helpful. I've done this for years with Raven consoles.

With all Boom sections OFF, the control valve will be disconnected from the EZ-Boom control circuit. This means that the system will not close the control valve down which seems to be a big problem. With the Boom sections OFF, the new Inc/Dec Switch will move the control valve as the operator desires.

The operator would then be in control without having to do any tricky screen manipulations.

There are probably some disadvantages to this approach which I haven't anticipated.

Edited by tedbear 5/17/2009 14:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)