AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven 460
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/7/2021 07:20 (#9046061 - in reply to #9045885)
Subject: RE: Raven 460

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
If the rate is showing zero and the 460 is set to Rate 1 or Rate 2, it should beep to warn you.

If your speed is zero this is certainly at least part of your problem.

Push the Speed Cal button to be certain that the speed cal has not accidently been set to zero. The correct number of your speed cal is 10 x the circumference of the wheel in inches.

If your are using a wheel sensor the 460 needs to be set to SP1 rather than SP2. Push and hold the self-test button while not moving. If your 460 has two windows for data, you should see some abbreviations flash by over and over again. You will want to see SP1 which is necessary for using a wheel sensor and magnets. You do not want to see SP2 as that is for radar type speed signals.

If your 460 is fairly new, it will have a single long window for data so the abbreviations are not necessary. One of the items should state SP1 - ground speed or something of the like.

If you have a speed cal number other than zero and self-test shows the 460 is set to SP1, then the problem may be with the wiring or the speed sensor itself. These sensors need to sense magnets of opposite polarity as the wheel rotates. You should have 4 magnets, 2 Red and 2 Black. The colors indicate opposite magnetic polarity and must be installed so they alternate.

It is fairly common that the cable can get cut or damaged. When I worked as a Tech we would see a cut cable quite often. We would cut the cable at that point and install new connectors of the original style which usually meant the cable ended up just slightly shorter than original. The cable is a CoAx type with two wires inside a shielded outer web. The two wires plus the web are needed to work. One wire is 5V, the other is the signal and the third is the outer shield for ground.

The sensors are generally very reliable but can fail.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)