AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headline Deals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

soil-life
Posted 12/18/2009 06:53 (#972726 - in reply to #972715)
Subject: Re: Headline Deals

North Central Ohio, across the Corn belt !
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 12/18/2009 06:29

Well, unless there's something I'm really missing, I don't see any value in merely recoup'ing expenses. I don't know of any "hidden values" in spraying beans. They didn't stand better, they don't grade better (we don't get pd for grade anyway), it just increased the expense per acre & makes you hope that beans exceed $10/bu to enable break-even. Seems dumb to me. In fact, there was a good chance that the treated beans would be wetter & potential dockage could've occurred if they were hauled directly to an elevator.

However, what it does do is gives one the ability to push his/her yields up 3.0 bu/A & converse w/neighbors on better yields while not considering costs. That does have psychological gratification. Not sure of $$/bu value there.

However, now I do have an interest in finding out just what the insecticide application will do by itself. That product cost only a few $$/A. But then, one brings in the question of stewardship & blanket kills on insect control.

Yes, You are correct Ron, We do neither but have watched the plots close and Neighbors as they, for the past 10 years or so have done just what you did last year !
Fortunately for many, Our CPS and County agent did 10 years of independent plot work on Fungicides, Insecticides with NO consistent, or substantial return to the Grower so in our area there is no Push from them on Bogus products !

Most are now saying NO More ! and turning deaf Ears on the : Marketing GU Rues " and a few seed sales people wanting, Like you say ! Bragging rights to a few extra Bu., even at the cost, Inconvenience to the farmer, customer at times !!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)