AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Irrigation investment....yes or no
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 11/1/2009 09:18 (#909325 - in reply to #909101)
Subject: Re: Irrigation investment....yes or no

Saronville NE
You cant figure the whole 120 0r 130 ares in cause you will still have dryland pivot corners, those will be about 6 acres a piece , so on you farm that wouls be 18 acres off thats still not irrigated. If you have to dig a well and all that yet, it will get real pricey real fast. I just bought a new 1/4 Reinke machine with all th options, tall tires, booster on end gun, GPS controls and all that for $49k, we replaced a oldr pivot that only covers 110 actual irrgated acres, because of a pasture that the landlord doesnt want to tear out and the pivot corners, so some little pies in there that dont get watered due to where the pivot shuts of in the pasture. We own the south 80 and rent the north 80, the north 80 is a poorer quality farm, 190 bu corn on that farm is good corn with all the pivot corners figured in. Without irrigation though that farm would be hardpressed in a good yr to raise 120 bu dryland corn. The north farm has the well, ours would still be dryland if we didnt rent the north 80, cause we cant justify drilling a new well for a 80, last time we checked on another frm of puttin a well in, with the gearhead and evrything it was close to $30k. I couldnt justify $30k for the well and a new pivot for $50k, on a 80, wouldnt payoff in 20 yrs, and if it wont pay in 20 yrs whats the use, any longer than that lots of better things to spend $80k on like puttin it against buyin another farm. Cause by the time you get that pivot justifyed in 20 yrs, you will be wanting to replace it, I know there are pivots out there running that are 30-35 yrs old, but dont count on it, depending on your water, 20 yrs would be a good time to replace them. Ive gone the used pivot route and had nothing but grief, theres a reason the last guy traded it off. The last used we got, spent over 10k refurbishing it, lasted 3 yrs, before we spent another 5k on it, with the purchase price and the repairs in 5 yrs time I was over half way to a new one, and what a new was at the time when I bought the used instead of now, I was within $5k of the new one back then, I wouldnt screw with a used pivot, if you own the ground, if its a rental farm and you dont know if you are going to get to keep it , then maybe, cause you would resell it in 3-5 yrs if you didnt get it back. The last 2 yrs we have raised 140-160 bu dryland corn, last yr was wet, this yr was really dry, if I could raise continous notill dryland corn like I have the last couple yrs, I wouldnt waste my time irrigating, would make more money on the dryland. Less seed cost, less rent, less fertilizer, no irrigtion expense, less taxes, less insurance. Just some more things to think about.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)