AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

planting corn the old 12 and pea shooter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Dax
Posted 4/21/2021 14:18 (#8965378 - in reply to #8965208)
Subject: RE: planting corn the old 12 and pea shooter

Cumberland County, TN

That's a great picture!  I can almost smell the soil as it's being farmed!  An "OLD" 1206?  Gee, that seems absurd to call it that - but maybe so.  (???)

I can think back when most of our neighbors were farming with Allis-Chalmers WD-45s, McCormick-Farmall Hs and 77 Row Crop Olivers and not so long ago, it seems.

I was sitting on the Wonder Bread breadbox on the porch of the local country store, listening to the group of farmers who gathered there every evening after the day's work was done.  They'd tell the latest jokes, discuss what Eisenhower and Khruschev were fixin' to do and talk about the price of wheat futures and sow bellies.

About that time, Carl McClain came roaring up to the Standard White Crown gas pump on his brand-new Farmall Super M and we all got up to take a closer look at it.  Wow!  What a monster!  Several there still farmed with C Farmalls.  After making his debut and letting everybody marvel for a bit, Carl mounted his Super M and took off for home in high gear, leaving us all in wonderment.

"I think he's gonna' regret spendin' that much on a new tractor."

"Yeah.  What's a man need with THAT big'ga tractor?"

"He'll find out when he starts trying to keep gas up to it.  He'll burn way more gas an' won't be able to do that much more than he could with his H.  He'd have to buy bigger equipment to see any improvement over what he had."

"Yeah, an' if he buys a wider disc, how's he gonna get it between the headposts, into the field.  That's just silliness to buy THAT big'ga tractor."

It wasn't that many years later that farmers in the area had removed their headposts, taken down many of their fences and started buying 'winged' discs.  We couldn't afford to spend that kind'o money so we started hiring the other guy to use his equipment on our farm.  I marveled at the size and power of Lamoine's big 806 Farmall and even the 756 that was following was an impressive sight.

Now when you speak of your "OLD" 1206, it seems nothing less than incredible that so much could have changed in so short a time.  About the only thing a Super M would likely be used for today would be to pull a hay wagon or to show in a parade.  Nobody uses cultivators anymore.  Weeds are subdued by Monsanto.  What would my dad have said?  "Boy?  You're gonna' see some STUFF in yer time!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)