AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me on High speed Internet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

4MSU
Posted 10/19/2009 21:21 (#891429)
Subject: Educate me on High speed Internet

Last spring we were aproached by a company that provides highspeed internet, and he wanted to put an antenna on our 110 ft grain leg in town. It sounded like a pretty good deal to us, because he was going to provide several of us with high speed internet and a little extra. There was already another company in town offering high speed and another on the edge of town so this would make three different companies offering high speed (broadband?) in the same town. We went ahead with the deal since it was a lot better than the deal we had before which was paying for dial up. It took the guy a while to get it up and running but now he has me hooked up and it seems to work good.

Now that it is up and running the company that has the majority of the buisness in town is throwing a fit. They are going to city council meetings and complaining about the new company. They say that the new company is screwing up their frequency. The way the new company owner that has the antenna on our leg explained it to me is that that all three companies are working on public frequencies. He said there is 15 public channels availible and he is only using one of them. He says he uses equipment to time his frequency so that others do not interfere with his.

Can anyone explain to me how these frequencies work? Can a town handle three high speed providers? Is the new guy on our leg doing something wrong or is the other just complaining because he dont want new competition.

By the way this new guy is charging $10 per month less than the other company. My service works great since I got it hooked up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)