AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean drying options
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

johns_79
Posted 10/14/2009 21:17 (#884864)
Subject: Soybean drying options

Windom, MN
So it appears our weather isn't going to cooperate, and we're just going to start pulling beans out. In a normal year, we'll get some good days to combine, with warmer days that will let our beans get to 11 or 10 percent. Our beans are now around 15, and that's too wet to haul to town. We want to get them to 13 or 12% on the farm, then haul to town, and we're coming up with some options.

The first is to run them through the dryer. I've done some research and think If I keep my plenum temp low, like 100 to 140, it will dry them out enough. What I don't like is they will be augered 6 times before they get to town, and I worry about splits and the quality of sample. Plus we will need to sweep auger two bins, the holding bin and the finished bin, which seems like a lot of work with corn harvest looming.

The other option is to put them in our holding bin with a full air floor, and put some type of heating element in front of the fan for awhile to dry the beans slowly. no stirrers or anything here, and think the bin will not dry evenly. And what to put in front of the fan? we have a kerosene burner I can't get to fire, and old LP portable furnace, and my fish house heater (which is only 25,000 BTUs). The advantage here is only augered twice and only one bin to clean out.

What would you do? Or does anyone else have some cheap options?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)