AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What kind of hours does your local elevator keep during harvest?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

hinfarm
Posted 10/13/2009 22:59 (#883597 - in reply to #883491)
Subject: Grain Banks

Amherst WI
The one that pays the most is the hardest to deal with, generally they are 7:30 to 5, maybe 6. The one that doesn't pay as well is 7:30 to 9 or 10 if they are drying. The co-op is somewhere between these two on both service, price and hours.

Back home (southern WI almost on the IL border) I worked for an elevator. If they were drying they stayed open all night. Granted not to many ran all night but I bet 3,000 bushel an our came in over night. What drives me nuts is these places only need to really bust arse 6 weeks a year to get the grain in the bin, maybe 5 weeks if they had better hours.

The worst part around here is the Spud farmers. If the elevator closes at 5 they run there combines until 7:30 or 8, and fill up trucks. Most spud farms have at least 10 trucks that hold 600 bushels each. They take these trucks and park them in line and before the elevator is even open there is 18,000 bu+ on wheels that got parked in the line overnight. These spud boxes also unload slow, it may take 20 mins to unload the 600 bu truck. I can't blame them, I guess if I had a fleet sitting in the weeds and needed room I would do the same.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)