AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coop spray mistake - only money!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 9/11/2009 11:31 (#842818 - in reply to #842131)
Subject: Re: coop spray mistake - only money!

The rumble of the combine will confirm or deny the application of the headline when you harvest. The beans will be down to 14% but the stems will be green as spring grass and TOUGH! That's the most visible effect of Headline. There is much debate on the benefit of Headline, and the honest statisticians will show that some places it hurts yield several bushels, some places it has no effect, and some places it helps yield quite a few bushels. I didn't strip or leave sample without last year, so I don't know. My custom combiner doesn't have yield monitor so it would have been of not much value in my patch to have left some without Headline.

While we haven't discussed Headline effects in beans much, it has to be that Headline helps a whole lot more if there are problems and that if the bean variety is adversely affected by those fungi problems. Like Headline helps some corn numbers a whole lot because those particular numbers are very susceptible to (I've heard it said, "A magnet for") gray leaf spot. There's no reason that same observation shouldn't apply to soy beans, that some varieties will be sure to benefit and some to not because of their varying susceptibility to damage from the diseases.

I rode in the combine cab last year, there sure was a lot of rumble from the cylinder (1460), but it wasn't absolutely all the time, but the stems were very green. Headline does that.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)