AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grass hay report
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/16/2020 18:08 (#8318796 - in reply to #8318615)
Subject: RE: Grass hay report

SE Manitoba
DonkeyShowFarms - 6/16/2020 15:36

I got done baling one of the brome grass and only had 15 bales. Most years it's 25+ bales. What's causing the shortage: cold weather that became hot in a hurry? I'd say it had plenty of rain .

As I've thought about forages the last number of years the variables, imo, are staggering.

Solar insolation, solar intensity, solar hours, curve describing the intensity within the solar hours, ground moisture, wind, RH and its shifts within a day, precipitation - - amounts, intensity frequency (or not).
I'm already at 9 variables to describe the system and I'm thinking that there are at least some more - - - - how many - - - dunno - - - - would be betting that there are though.

Its real easy to say one year is similar to another or not so but when you look at all the variables - - - - - well I'm relieved that I don't have to manage all of those variables!
(I only need to worry about fertility and its timing and type and maybe water if I can provide extra or drainage - - - - - see I did remember a few more - - - - grin!)

We've had similar long time quite cool, frost in early June and then now lots of heat. Not surprised that there are differences but dunno your situation - - - you're some 4 to 500 miles as the crow flies
so I'm not pretending that I know how your situation went. Just if yours is similar to ours - - - - - grass is coming strong the last week. Alflafa guys are on their first cut but the beef guys are likely a
good couple weeks away from a cut.

Likely too technical but you did ask (grin!).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)