AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Burrus Teams up with DuPont
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 8/4/2009 14:12 (#799471 - in reply to #799434)
Subject: RE: Second wind?

Burlington, IA
You can think what you want. Yes, a lower price from P certainly didn't hurt. But unless you made some trips from WI into IA last fall during harvest, and I don't think you did, you never saw the thousands and thousands of acres of DK product that was flat, while hybrids from many other sources were still standing. Unless you were here to witness the mood of the guys picking the stuff, after experiencing the first of what is now 2 wet seasons in a row here, you don't know the reactions to DK that were developing. And neither you or I were privy to the earfuls that a lot of DK reps were getting. There were a lot of producers in IA that were flat po'ed that their DK went down, especially after paying the price they did for it, while other companies' product was still standing. It was an accumulation of circumstances, and there are people in the industry whom I have a great deal of respect for, who seem to think that the high winds IA had, did play a significant part. Being several hundred miles away in WI, I don't think you're really in a position to declare with a certainty what was the major factor here in what was certainly a market shift, at least in IA. And it was a big enough shift to affect DK's overall market share.

I can agree with much of your second statement, although there are a number of other factors, including service, quality, etc., that play into that decision as well. But you already knew that.

JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)