AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Potential Killing Frost Event For Western CANADA!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

SaskCanFarmer
Posted 7/28/2009 03:25 (#790956 - in reply to #790908)
Subject: RE: Potential Killing Frost Event For Western CANADA!

I farm in Western Sask....75Miles east of Lloydminster. Crops looks pretty good for the most part...Certain amount of Canola got hit pretty hard by the frost in my area but we escape relatively well....Just north of us got hammered (Tons of acres reseeded to polish...Heard upto 70% of acres in the Spiritwood region) and south west of us got hit a little harder. Majority of our canola flowered for three weeks and now has been virtually out of flower for a week. Ours is not far behind our average minus about 240 acres of later seeded. BUT most Canola still in full bloom...Almost August...Peas are excellent in a very wide radius of us. Still flowering and podding. Wheat headed out and flowering. Some midge spraying south east of us...Barley headed out and filling. No bumper crop coming, average crop, but a normal frost (Aug 20 - Not out of the ordinary) will hurt A LOT (50%+) of Canola.

I have never followed World Weather Inc so I don't know how accurate they are but its kind of odd that The Weather Network has lows of 7 to 10 for the rest of the week then they are predicting above average temps (25+) starting next Monday. Environment Canada also has lows of 7 to 10 for the rest of the week....By no means is that very good growing conditions but that is awfully far away from a frost or a freeze. Mind you they do seem to change hourly sometimes. lol.

Edited by SaskCanFarmer 7/28/2009 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)