AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Divorce thread below got me thinkin.......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

jsfarms86
Posted 12/11/2019 20:06 (#7901530 - in reply to #7901416)
Subject: RE: Divorce thread below got me thinkin.......

Northeast Nebraska
Sheep Herder - 12/11/2019 19:19

Maybe due a careful job of making sure she's the right one before you marry?   Good partners don't leave.  Edited to add we've been married over 35 years.

That's easier said then done sometimes. I dated a gal who I thought was pretty loyal and a good catch. 10 months later boy was I wrong. When your wife is in the hr dept and is having an affair with an employee its a sure sign to end a marriage. Getting a divorce was the worst and best thing that ever happened to me. I just started farming so I had minimal assets but had a good amount of cash built up from another business I just sold before I got divorced. We went to negotiate assets and she owned nothing besides the car I just paid off for her. I kept everything I had and she actually owed me money in the end. Sad thing is she was in debt before and during our marriage. I did not know how bad it was until we started to negotiate my jaw dropped when I found out is was 50k in credit cards. I never knew this because she did all the banking online with no paper trails for the credit cards. Her lawyer thought I should pay for her debt. Lucky enough I dodged the bullet on that one. What saved me was having no accounts with her, gained all my income before marriage, and I had yet to harvest my first crop so the only thing I had was input cost. I recall her lawyer saying that she would get half my crop and I told her I agreed, both lawyers were in shock, I kindly said well here is what she owes me for her inputs and I had to rent machinery to do all this since it was my first year. That went over like a pregnant pole vaulter. It was easy to show a loss the first year farming. Needless to say her lawyer was not very good at negotiating and they didn't get a penny from me.

I learned a lot from that ordeal. Its hard to position yourself for a divorce. Keeping good records was key. Since we had no kids or no assets together mine wasn't to difficult. I do always joke my divorce lasted longer than my marriage which was true. I made the mistake of not looking more into her financial situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)