AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

North Dakota Corn Harvest in July
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 7/23/2009 12:33 (#785403 - in reply to #785206)
Subject: Re: North Dakota Corn Harvest in July

Rolla, ND
Is it for a full quarter or is it smaller? What brand?

I'll ask around a bit. Though ever since we started that project to waste water it's been pretty wet. The potato guys still want water available.

How much total water did you pump over the years of the study? I think the ones closer to me did maybe 4 inches total.

One thing the found on the other pivots was what the soil survey said was the soil type and what was the soil type were two completely different things. They had one place where they thought they had a Sioux where what they had was a layer of sand from a Sioux nearby blown onto the about the tighest soil you'd ever find. So much for a deep well drained portion of the field. I always wondered why a lake bottom would appear to be coarse sand on a soils map.

I was trying to convince NDSU in order to make it a good study they need to rerun it with tile drainage in the same fields so they could see what happened to the salts and water usage when they had the tile underneath. Looks like your's would be a good candidate for that treatment. I really think drain tile first and then a center pivot would be the order of the day in this part of the world for most of these soils, we tend to lose as much or more to too much water as not enough and if you add water by irrigation, you get even more likely to hit that too much water condition.

I actually think that with good practices the use of drain tile would allow us to put less water into Devils Lake, at least I'm willing to try on 10.000 acres or so. The theory being instead of drown out crop one would use the water growing crops and evaporate the water into the air, then in times of excess instead of storing the water in a shallow pond, one stores it in the ground.

Somehow I don't think Mallards Everywhere Inc. will go for it.

I have trouble telling, what's the main weeds doing that real nice ground cover?

Marv

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)