AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Challenger 660/670 questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 6/25/2009 20:26 (#757010 - in reply to #756134)
Subject: Re: Challenger 660/670 questions

Having never ran or been around one of these machines in the field, I will comment on the variable speed slip problem as I believe these machines use the same drive system as the Gleaner rotaries, which I am familiar with.

I am wondering if your variable speed sheave had enough grease in it to work properly and keep enough tension on the belt. Seems that some of these came right from the factory without grease - and GOOD dealer pre-delivery would have caught this if it is the case. That sheave requires a LOT of grease and must be pumped full daily. We give ours about 10-15 pumps every morning. Less so in small grains & beans where the variable speed is locked out, but we really pour the grease to it when running the cornhead. We also cycle the variable speed fully each morning after greasing it. If this machine happened to come from the factory dry, giving it even 10-15 pumps a day would never have given it enough grease and it may be binding up. Just a thought and maybe something to look into. Perhaps if the feeder drive is slipping, it is sending slugs through the machine and causing your beater drive problems too?

As for your axle cracking problem, that is a new one to me. I would also assume they are using the same or very similar axle as the Gleaners - and Gleaners are known for very, very seldom having axle or final drive problems. That's not saying there are NEVER issues, but very seldom as they are very heavily built. Are you running a whopper topper? The R72-76 has a 330 bu hopper capacity and, not knowing the exact specs on your machine, I'm betting it isn't much more than that in stock setup. I'm not much of a fan of those over-sized bin extensions due to the added stress on components beyond what they were engineered to carry. With your hydro and tranny problems, in addition to rare axle cracking, makes me question what sort of weight you are carrying on that machine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)