AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GDU's to Silk?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FirecatF7
Posted 5/24/2019 17:23 (#7518592 - in reply to #7518278)
Subject: RE: GDU's to Silk?

GOOSEPILOT - 5/24/2019 14:25

I make a couple calls to get gdu to flowering if its not advertised. Agronomist usually have lots of data, marketing just doesnt use most of it in published sales literature.

I think gdu from planting to emerge is fairly accurate. Where i see the bigger discrepancy is how gdu are calculated to begin with. In cooler weather a standard max min air temp in early season can be as much as 100 gdu or more off vs using soil temps and total 24 hr readings to generate gdu.

You bring up a great point. While the GDU model has served us well, it isn’t without two major wrinkles:

1. It doesn’t account for time at temperature. Whether the high for the day is achieved for 6 minutes or 6 hours, the result is the same in the model.

2. It doesn’t account for early season cold well. An overnight low of 38 degrees at the beginning of the planting season is calculated the same as an over night low of 50 during the middle of the growing season. Both result in “50” as the input into the model.

While most years this discussion as interesting, it’s certainly relevant in our current Delayed Planting situation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)