AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring burndown on old pasture land in central MO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Easy D
Posted 12/1/2018 11:58 (#7140517 - in reply to #6523636)
Subject: RE: Spring burndown on old pasture land in central MO

Easy D - 1/22/2018 15:44

I've made a late decision to take a small plot from decades of pasture to soybeans this spring. The plot hasn't seen livestock for several years, so it's mostly grass and weeds now. I had been thinking to do a burndown (roundup + ?) and some level of tillage, but am not ruling out no-till. Any suggestions on which method would be best to use considering this wasn't started last fall, and the timing to follow with the soybeans?

Just a quick follow-up to this topic, and the results from the plot if anyone might be interested. I ended up doing a RU + 24d burndown in mid April, then ran a disk twice and planted Liberty beans in early May with 15" row spacing populated to about 160,000. I probably could have done no-till, but residue and other considerations like post emerge weed control (I was in a time crunch and wasn't going to be around to apply a residual) led to just using the disk. Harvest was mid October, and considering the 5 week scorching hot drought I was pleased with the 58 bu yield. Thanks again for the replies...these forums are very helpful.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)