AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can a Deere 4720 sprayer run a Raven chem injector?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/8/2009 06:32 (#673227 - in reply to #672763)
Subject: RE: Can a Deere 4720 sprayer run a Raven chem injector?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Direct Injection is very popular in our area and is "catching on" in other parts of the country.

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement for varous products or services, I offer the following information:

The Raven Direct Injection pump can be run several ways. It can be run with several different Raven consoles utilizing a Raven CAN module, by Ag Leader's Direct Injection module or most commonly with Raven's Sidekick console. In the past, Raven's Injection motor control was used with a common 440 or other Raven controller, this method is not common today as the 440 does not have some desirable alarm features.

With a Deere system the SprayStar is used to operate the main carrier and behaves normally. All functions pertaining to the product in the Main tank are handled this way.

When a Raven control console is used with the Injection pump it is tied into the original wiring so that the Raven console is aware of which booms if any are ON at any given time. Thus the system Starts/Stops without any operator intervention on the headlands.

This wiring harness in not invasive (nothing is cut or spliced). It consists of a harness with a Tee for each boom valve. You disconnect the boom valve wiring at each valve and insert the Tee. This information is referred to as "Boom Sense". This harness is connected to the Raven electronics.

On my own personal 4720 which I just purchased I went the Ag Leader route with Injection. This involves using an Insight with an Auxiliary Input Module, a Liquid Product Control module and Ag Leader's Direct Injection Module.

I had used this equipment with my former pull-type sprayer. The main product control was handled by the Liquid Product Control module and the Injected product was handled by the Direct Injection module. This works very well.

Now that I have the Deere, the situation is somewhat different as the Deere SprayStar system must still handle the Main product control. In this sprayer, the modules are still used but the Liquid control module's control circuitry is not connected to anything. It receives flow information from the Deere flowmeter and calculates the applied rate etc as if it were in control. If the applied rate does not match the target rate, the system will attempt correction to no avail as it is not connected. The Deere system should respond to a rate discrepancy and make the appropriate correction.

The Deere boom switches are rerouted to become inputs to the Auxiliary Input Module. The boom output from the Liquid control module goes to the Deere system. Thus the Ag Leader Boom control is in the middle of things and can use its autoswath features to handle boom control. The Insight logs all the usual information for both products. Various onscreen maps are available and well as SmartReports.

My personal sprayer had Injection on it at the time I purchased it (it was formerly run with a SideKick console). This rig has two 50 gallon Injection tanks. With Rup type products, this means that the rig can go out in the morning with about 400 acres of chemical on board. The Tender only needs to replenish the water/additive supply until the Rup runs low.

There are many combinations with multiple pumps/multiple tanks etc. that can be used with Injection systems.

Edited by tedbear 4/8/2009 07:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)