AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Two way radios
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

Nate B.
Posted 6/6/2017 14:55 (#6057507 - in reply to #6053823)
Subject: RE: Two way radios

Bremen, KS
I have been buying used and some new Kenwood TK-862G mobile units since about 2011 or so. These are the UHF (450-470 MHz) models. For VHF high-band (150-162 MHz) there is the TK-762G. Both models are narrow-band capable and feature up to eight channels with a simple single digit display. I program ours for two channels--1 is through the repeater and 2 is direct mobile to mobile.

When looking for for equipment, the key specification to look for is the supported bandwidth. Narrow-band capable radios will be specified by the FCC nomenclature of 12K5F3E which is analog FM in a 12.5 kHz wide channel. As of 1 January 2013, the older equipment which supported 20K0F3E is no longer legal for use on FCC Part 90 (business radio service) frequencies. Some equipment, such as the aforementioned TK-762G, support both and are now only legal if setup for the narrower bandwidth.

Between amateur radio and working with two-way radio equipment, I had the confidence to go it alone and have bought the equipment and taken care of the licensing. Licensing can be especially tricky so the services of a company that handles that on a routine basis is a good idea.

The FCC has made some changes recently regarding the so-called "license free" services. It may be worthwhile to investigate them and consider that as an alternative.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)