AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spray tips
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 4/23/2017 13:57 (#5978317 - in reply to #5978275)
Subject: While you are correct

Aberdeen MS
that exact "true" water gallonage isn't really required, I think your statement of "same rate per acre whether driving 12 - 20 MPH at 50 PSI" is what brought on most of the attitude.

I always just went by the markings on the tank of the sprayer and loaded accordingly for the "carrier" portion of the load, and if I wanted a 40 acre load, I put in the correct amount of chemical. Then filled to the appropriate gallon mark on the tank and went spraying. The rate controller kept the application even across all the acres.

I used to have to do that as well when I sprayed commercially in the late 70's. There was no rate controller back in those days. Get the right gear in the truck at the correct RPM and set the pressure according to the chart and drove. If you went faster or slower in that gear, the pump varied accordingly, and you loaded by the markings on the sight gauge. Crude? Yes, but that is all we had back then. Didn't have auto steer or foam markers then either.

Spraying today with all the electronics have made it much easier. We didn't have chemicals though that the rate was in oz/acre tho either. It was quarts or gallons so a bit more leeway on crop damage.

And I'm sure it's the same today as then, but what wasn't told to the grower by the chemical rep is that around 80% control was considered 100% by the chemical company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)