AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LP gas tractors of old
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 12/27/2008 22:07 (#548758 - in reply to #548640)
Subject: Re: LP gas tractors of old

East Central Arkansas
I have two LP gas 4020 John Deeres that my Dad and Uncle purchased new. One is a 66 year model and the other a 69. LP was pretty cheap back then and it was better fuel for farm use than gasoline. You didn't have a lot of trouble with the fuel getting stole when you left them sitting in the field. I also remember a Moline and a Farmall we had on LP. Looking back I think the diesel 4020 ' s would have been a better deal in the long run. Does anyone here know what the price difference was between a LP 4020 and a diesel one was?
The LP 4020's were always hard to start back years ago when we really used them. They had 2 problems that I later corrected. One was they only had the single long 12 v battery which didn't have enough cranking amps. I did away with that and replace the battery box with a box that will hold a heavy duty battery. Most regular car and truck batterys seem to have more power than that old high priced long battery. The second problem was the hydraulic system dragging the starter motor down when cranking. You had to twist the steering wheel while cranking. We later found out about the destroking screw you could put in the hyd pump and this was a big improvment. I wish I had known what to do years earlier to inprove the cranking. The starter was pulling all the current from the battery and didn't leave any for the coil.
I wish I had the money that was spent on points and plugs for these things over the years. These things would be running fine and you could cut it off and go back to crank it and it would never crank till you put new plugs in it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)