AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MDARE
Posted 10/24/2006 17:25 (#54808 - in reply to #54800)
Subject: RE: air seeder cart position ? Front of behind?

SW KS
I hope you get many different answers on this, because I have yet to see a reason to have it in front (tow-between). That being said obviously I prefer it in the back (tow-behind).

1> Ease of filling. We fill with a semi and I can turn the drill and drive directly beside the cart with 61' drill attached.
2> Ease of watching drill. Can constantly keep eyes on drill vs. only seeing the front of cart. Really helpful when no tilling into corn stalks.

Some people will say that they do not like the "looks" of tracks in their field but if it has zero affect on stand then what does it matter. In the wheat I drilled a month ago, you would literally have to stop, get out and walk into field to find where the tracks are at. I have planted into the mud, pulled a 350 bu cart over the top and still had a perfect stand. You will need to set the drill up differently in the rows which the cart runs over, but from people I talked to they have to do the same thing on a tow between. There will be instances where you don't get a perfect stand once, but after planting in those conditions and paying attention to stand, then there is no excuse to ever have it again in the future.

As I found out this year. If you have to plant wheat over 3 inches deep to get to moisture, you need to plant it shallower in the cart tracks. Also muddy behind disc drill and muddy behind hoe drill, leads to completely different results upon emergence.

You may be wondering how I can talk about burying it 3-4 inches deep and being to muddy to run in the same year. Just remember I live in Kansas. Month of August south end of farm had 1" while north end of farm had over 18".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)