AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interesting FIRST plot data using "the list"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 12/25/2008 09:53 (#546579 - in reply to #546123)
Subject: Plot problems can be part of it but...

Perhaps the seed companies' early plots are better, but they all face the same soil and other variables going across the plot. However, in general they advance the better hybrid based on their data. I'm sure at the development stage they have confidence and perhaps as long as the plots don't all contradict the lab results they advance the variety. I've seen the really small research plots that are on perfect soil and everything looks great - not sure I would pick a hybrid from the selection.

I used to do lots of plots and tried to make them a larger, but I found the only way I could get any data I could use is to request enough seed to go 6 or 8 rows one pass across the field. Then I've got a hybrid in multiple conditions next to a hybrid in multiple conditions. Maybe pass to pass isn't in exactly the same soil conditions, but in my situation I'm looking for the hybrid that does better in multiple conditions. If I had fields that were all as good as the small plot patch, I wouldn't need to go across but that just isn't the case.

hohoho, I hit a auger, but found some cookies and milk last night!

Merry Christmas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)