AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pak Rat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 12/17/2008 08:36 (#537292 - in reply to #537250)
Subject: RE: Pak Rat

Central Kansas
Pack rat, trade rat, or more specifically here in the Midwest...the Tree or Roof Rat might be what you have. They are bulkier, rounded head and ears and have hair on their tail which is some shorter and bigger around than a norway rat. White underbelly and tail, gray fur. They make those unmistakable huge piles of sticks and leaves at the base of trees in a hedge row...some 6-10' off the ground. They will make a nest overnight on an engine under a hood...do lots of damage chewing wires and such.

Their tendency is to 'trade' what they carry for their nest or food for an item that appears brighter, bigger or better. My guess, as suggested above, is that they have carried off your bait to their nest to be eaten later. I have found neatly stacked wheat heads (maybe a bushel of them) in a nest in an old Clipper Fanning mill. You will eventually get a kill...but not when you want it. I have been reducing numbers of these things for years and have fallen on MY most effective method.

Purchase a 'squirrel or rabbit' size Havahart or Little Giant wire box trap. I prefer the type with only one entrance door. Bait it with peanut butter on a cracker or slice of apple....a piece of Beggin' Strip bacon dog treat......and if no bait....a wadded up piece of shiny aluminum foil. I drowned them when I catch them to avoid getting the trap bloodied...but you can use a subsonic .22 cal short that will not penetrate the beast. There will definately be at least one more than you are seeing, most likely more than that. I have used the single spring 110 conibears but mice steal the bait from the trigger wires and do not fire the trap. The box-type trap will do the trick. I catch over 30 every fall around my firewood stacks, tree rows and farm buildings. I leave them set year round and ocassional will nab one when least expected.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)