AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

maybe this is machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

superdave
Posted 10/23/2008 21:59 (#489454 - in reply to #489024)
Subject: Re: maybe this is machinery

The Wichita TV news would bring this problem up once or twice a year. They scream for more legislation/fines, then the train companies normally remind the public (and more importantly the elected officials) in KS how much $$$ they drop into re-election coffers & how much $$$ they pay in state taxes, and the elected officials shut their yaps, and the problem quiets down for another year (or until a slow news days). A lot of companies, with major workforces in KS, advertise in local papers how much money they pay each county in taxes...it's usually a pretty astonishing amount.
That being said, I'm glad I don't live on highway 30 near North Platte, NE. On a three day weekend, you will see 1.5 mile long coal/cargo trains stacked up along the highway for 30+ miles each direction. Doesn't seem to bother them to block the side roads. When there are derailments, they really stack up. Problems evaporate when you have a couple senators in your back pocket...
When a train hit a car near Scottsbluff, it didn't stop for 30 miles, and it couldn't...there was miles of trains behind him that couldn't stop either. Sometimes the problems are 45+ miles down the track. I love my electricity & food, so keep those coal and grain trains moving....

Edited by superdave 10/23/2008 22:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)