AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Liberty Link beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 8/6/2008 07:01 (#429365 - in reply to #429127)
Subject: RE: Liberty Link beans

I've got 80 acres of seed beans planted and so far the only issue is liberty link corn (had to use arrow/select). They put out a new label for ignite that includes soybeans at 3 rates 20 - 24 oz/acre. I sprayed early with 22 oz and it did a nice job and came back a little on the late side and sprayed 24 oz to make sure I got the bigger weeds (mainly from water washing out the beans and leaving bare ground for the weeds). I like the really quick response - everything lightens up within 2 days and it seems to kill everything I needed it to kill. I also sprayed when it was pretty hot and humid, so it had the best chance to do a good job. I've heard of problems in colder temps.

With a seed field like this we have a 10' dead zone border that I was keeping clean with roundup (atv sprayer) to make sure I killed any liberty beans that got washed into the dead zone (it was wet this spring wasn't it?). The roundup did the job, but seemed to take a long time and at the rate I was using wasn't as effective on the later, more 'hardened' flushes of weeds - on the other hand I sprayed most of the dead zone with liberty on the 2nd application and it smoked everything.

The beans look good right now (ECIL, planted 5/21) and we'll see if the yield well - I'm wondering if the yield I get will more influenced by the seed variety or the the LL gene (ie. does the plant handle the herbicide better and have no yield drag?)

Probably the biggest issue is ignite pricing, but I understand there is no tech fee - the price is probably the same as a roundup program. However, I think they are going to have to drop prices to gain business.

Hope this helps,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)