AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spot sprayer modification follow up for dpilot83 (lots of pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/25/2014 20:19 (#3776200)
Subject: Spot sprayer modification follow up for dpilot83 (lots of pics)

dpilot 83 asked some questions about ATV sprayers in this previous thread where I had posted some pics.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=461959

I had a pretty good setup for my ATV for spot spraying around poles, buildings, gravel driveways, yards, ditches, fence rows field perimeters etc.  Worked very well for lots of years but was just a little short on capacity and was putting a lot of weight on my Polaris 400. A 35 gallon tank was simply too much weight and was beginning to break down my rear rack on the ATV.

I started out with a light weight boom when I planted in 30" rows which let me buzz up and down the rows to hit any trouble areas. I could run either side or the entire boom. 

The wide boom was terrible though for yards, and ditches and around obstacles. I liked the set up I had where I used 2 electric Sure flow pumps so I made a few changes 1 ran the short boom, the other either ran the hand wand or the broadcast nozzle depending on what was turned on via a valve. 

A 3 position switch on the handlebar allowed either pump to be turned on or off. up was one pump middle was off down was the other pump.

The weight and lack of capacity prompted me to build something a little different but still use the features I liked from my previous build. The goal was to get a bigger tank, a switchable valve, do away with a separate battery to run the pumps and be able to adjust boom height if needed. 

I decided that a 3 point carry all frame would make a good starting point and could also prove useful at times by removing the tank. I built up a platform using treated 2x8's bolted to the steel carry all frame. Then I used GRK structural screws to fasten the treated 2x6 tongue and groove platform boards down and countersunk the heads for a flat surface.

Next I surrounded the edges of the platform with 2x2 angle iron and attached a short boom section by welding a piece of 1/2" black pipe to some short pieces of angle that were bolted to the edge frame. 

Next I added a Tee Jet rotary boom control valve which would allow me to pick between broadcast nozzle, short boom section or hand wand. 

I opted for a single 12 volt pump this time but this single pump has the output in GPM of both of my others combined.

Next I made a custom mount/bracket for the broadcast nozzle that would put me in the recommended 36" height range when the platform was fully raised and get me past the short boom. I welded a 1/4" union to a short spacer and then to the strap. There will be a check valve on one side to shut off flow and not let it dribble when it is shut off.

Another issue with the ATV set up was managing the hose wand and nozzle it never stayed wrapped and you always had to worry about the wand/hose getting caught on stuff. I thought I would try out a cheap reel to see if that made the 25 ft of hose easier to manage.

I've made some wooden dollies on 5" casters to set things on and this makes it nice to unhook the platform in the barn and roll it out of the way. The 8N ford does not have telescopic lift arms either and these dollies make it easy to hook things up. 

Next I made some 2x4 treated cleats to keep the tank from sliding around. 

A couple nylon tie down straps will keep the tank secure when in steep ditches or sloped ground.

A small block under the shut of valve keeps the weight of the valve from flexing the tank. The lines are ran from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the rotary valve. Some might question using the clear tubing but I have used this for over 14 years on the ATV setup with no issues and being smooth inside and less porous than rubber does not hold chemicals. That is important when switching from yard spray to driveway spraying with different chemicals. 

I used anhydrous hose to plumb the short boom and broadcast nozzle.

Here is an overall of the completed unit.

Completed hose reel.

Here are the hand wand holder clips. I had these on an old tank. They are perfect for holding the hand wand. The name on them says Gibson Good Tools. 2 different sizes a small and medium work really well. You can also find them on Amazon by searching Lehigh grip clip organizer.

http://www.gibsongoodtools.com/

A couple more overall views.

Shut off valve being supported.

Wiring harness fastened onto 8N it has been switched over to 12 volts with an alternator so will have no problem running this. 1952 model still working good. I refuse to spend what they ask for newer compact tractors and lawn mowers so make do with what I have.

Had to drill the fender rivets out and replace with bolts so I could bolt the wire loom clamps in place. Added a trailer socket on the rear of the fender and a heavy duty switch to turn the pump off and on. 

Rotary valve can easily be reached from the seat. 

On/off switch at a convenient location for me. Used existing holes /bolts for brackets and clips. I hate putting holes in stuff for add ons.

Small wand holding clip

Medium wand holding clip.

Boom and broadcast nozzle with check valve.

Well that is all did not get to test it out today as it was snowing and did not want water freezing in the new setup before it's even been used.

Probably not the sort of thing that will interest many folks here as it's too "small time". However it's something I enjoyed building for my special needs "here". It's based on my proven design that has been working for me for a lot of years on the ATV. A few minor improvements and better carrying capacity with the ability to use for multiple uses as well as being adjustable in boom height should make for some nice improvements. 

Hope everyone enjoys the build. 

Thanks for looking.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)