AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low PH Farm (should i add more P/K in my spread)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Ridger
Posted 1/31/2014 09:39 (#3651145 - in reply to #3650971)
Subject: RE: Low PH Farm (should i add more P/K in my spread)

EC Nebraska
I don't think that urea will ever increase nodulation. It might increase bean yield if the nodulation is so poor that the beans are short of nitrogen So it might help compensate for poor nodulation, if that's what you're thinking.

The first ground I bought had probably never seen a lime truck and one soil type on it had pH's like yours. I should have known to lime it right away, but I was fresh out of college (young and dumb). When I finally did realize that something had to be done, it was going to beans that year. I spread 400 lbs pell lime on that ridge and it made a huge difference that first year. So you can benefit from the lime the first year. Look at the fineness test for the lime you spread. If enough of it will pass the 60 mesh screen and you can get it spread evenly, you'll have done as much as you can do. If 20% (should be a lot higher than that) passes the 60 mesh, and you spread three tons, that's 1200 lbs that's active this first year.

Your CEC's are not that high, so you do need to be concerned about shocking the soil with too much too fast. If it were my ground with that soil test, I might not even go with three tons, I might just do two tons and see what happens. Especially if you use magnesium lime. I'd give it two ton and watch it for a couple years. Probably then a couple ton of hi-cal lime, depending on how it performs and the soil tests. But you're the one farming it, not me.

Like others have said, you can't build that land back in one year, and you gotta make a living while doing it. Spread your lime, potash, and MAP, and inoculate the beans. And make sure you cash flow to farm another year.

Edited by NE Ridger 1/31/2014 10:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)