AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Dennis SEND
Posted 7/28/2013 00:43 (#3233249 - in reply to #3232204)
Subject: Re: How to tile

Contractor is just about finished with my first pattern tile job on 3 quarters I bought last winter, I went to a hefty meeting and through oh I am going to do this myself and save a bunch of money, then I started really looking into how the tile would have to go in to make it work and decided it was NOT a DIY job in my situtatiuon anyways.

I hired Ellingson Drainage to do mine, yea they are not cheap but I know it is getting done right, my project is rather large as all 3 quarters have to drain out of one outlet, so I have 24" at the start and then over 5K feet of 18" also, in places the 18" main is 11-12' deep so in order to do it right you better know what the heck you are doing, also due to the lay of the land I have just shy of 600 junctions, watching them put tile in with a Bron plow with a D8 winching on front is kind fun is watch but cannot even imagine the stress I would be putting on a farm tractor in accomplish the same task.

Guess I have no idea the size of your project or your landscape but personally after watching it be done I will never own a tile plow for putting in my own tile, my ground conditions just do not warrant DIY install, another thing I would never have the time to get it done either.

Like I said my project is large about 325K feet of tile over 305K feet of 4" laterals alone Ellingsons have a crew of 4-5 guys and between doing overcuts, and backfilling and all the junction they have been at it for the better part of a month, granted if we would not have gotten 8 inches of rain back in June in one night they would have had better going also.

Another thing Ellingsons are the only ones that I know of that can plow 18" DW and you will get much better grade control plowing tile rather than using a backhoe, also they are a great company to work with as they had a 2012 Deere 850K Dozer here and allowed me to use to push in 5 stock dams the previous owner put in for cattle, since they will never be used again figured I would clean them up, and they were nice enough to let me use there Dozer rather than having to rent one from RDO, I put almost 45 hours on it and all I can say it is a sweet machine to run, plus I didn't even have to wash it when I was done as they had it dirty already.

Edited by Dennis SEND 7/28/2013 00:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)