AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to tile
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

fourcubs
Posted 7/27/2013 13:58 (#3232351 - in reply to #3232204)
Subject: Re: How to tile

We just started this year. We started this mainly becasue we were seening 100 bu differences in fields in the low spots compared to the higher areas of the field. This year has not been a good test to see if it is working though we have been dry but for the month of May we were wet and the water was running. Can't help on the plow we have a Waynes. But for hp like people said it does not matter, what matters is being able to use mid rpms+ at sub 1 mps. For exapmle we have heavy ground and it it was dry this spring I pulled my plow with a 9682 (375ph) versitle trippled with a 8-9000 lb degelman blade on it weighed somewhere in the 45000 lb range. We had to hook a tj425 on the front to pull deeper than 48" and were stopped and somtimes flamed out at 5' again it was very dry in the subsoil. The main problem was the engines were running at 1000 rpms. It think if we continue to do lots of ground we will retro a D8 to pull the plow. I am guessing you will be pulling with the 235. Pre ripping is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. Get a tractor on the front and do it in one pass. You wont get anything done otherwise I tried it and it was a pain. Plus the pit crew will be waiting for you otherwise.

Tile requires RTK corrections I don't know anything about intelleslope we run trimble, I have an FM1000 and farm works where I plan the jobs beforehand. I have probably 17000 in the fm1000 (doubles as my planter monitor, poo tank controler, sprayer controler) with all unlocks and stuff plus another 5000 or so in valves and cables and such for controling the plow. This does not include a radio which I do not have I tiled on cors this spring and thought it went well but a radio canbe 15000 or more and very few of our slopes were less than 1%. We shall see. I would like to ad dual control this fall but this ads another 4000 or so. All of this ads up quickly. The 750 is of no use for the project. You would need a fm1000 which is a step up fom the 750. Auto steer is not nessasary (I don't have it in the plow tractor) but would be nice you need to be on top of everything going on to do a good job but i requires another unlock and antenna for the second reciever in the fm1000.

Backhoe, excavators are the cats behind for this. I was planning on using a mini for most of it but found a 55000 lb Kobelco for 20000 and was that ever nice to have. You never know when you are going to hit underground "ice bergs" (aka. rocks) and have to dig up a Volkswagon to continue the line. A skidsteer backhoe would have been useless. Plus the bucket leaves a little more room for a man to work in the trench. It does mean more backfill so that might be a drawback but the reach is a nice thing to have as well. 55000 is a little overkill but we use it for other things as well and is handy for putting in mains (we have none). Hiighly recommend an excavator you can rent for something like 3000 a month I think.

As for people 2 min very min. 5 is better(plow tractor, pull tractor, tile cart driver/connection man, excavator operator, pit man) the slow part is the connections. When connections are in place you can plow a lot of tile in a hurry. In 2 weeks this spring as rookies we put in 50000 feet. 4 days just spent putting in a 900ft main 9' down (never again lifting stations are easy to do) and wire is cheap compared to digging that much dirt up. We were connecting fast enough that the tile cart driver was just running allong the plow and feeding it right into the plow. He did not have time to run the lines out ahead of us.

You will screw up a line or 2 at first but once you get the hang of it it is rather fun to do. I forgot to add a tile cart to your needs 6000 should do it. No need to pay more. Buy lots of tape. When in doubt dig up and redo. Don't smoke your powershift, did that hope I did not hurt it too much we actually took the blade off of the tractor so that it could "slip" a little. Plan on pulling with the 235 get a big cable and hook it up like the scraper tractors, chains send parts flying. I know people say you can pull with one but they must have that wonderfull Iowa loam that everyone dreams of. Have a way to fill in the ripped up ground where the plow goes. This does not sound like much but 50000 feet of 2' high mounds are not fun. (we use a D5) Lots of water and donuts for the pit crew. They work hard. Prepare for the horrible sound of engines "flaming out".(It is not fun to get going once you have stopped in a deep rip so you end up trying to keep going and it doesnt always work out.) Pulling with the excavator is not recomended but you will do it.(I mean what else are you going to do.) Get a grade laser so that when you have to pull out you finish it with the excavator.( only happend 2 times but used it for the main.)

Now that all of you experienced guys are laughing at me wondering why the hell I am tiling ground this heavy I will tell you that it was the most interesting thing I have done in a field. We would go from sandy loam to loam to solid clay that looked like it was put there in a vertical wall. The changes were unbelievable. The loamy bottoms that use to stay saturated now have a place for the water to go and hopefully yields will go up a lot.

Hope this helps it is worth it and 10000 feet for a comercial guy is pathetic.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)