AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone seen any costs on building a 1200 hd finisher??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 6/17/2013 06:34 (#3159248 - in reply to #3158675)
Subject: RE: Anyone seen any costs on building a 1200 hd finisher??

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I have a 1200 head finisher with wet/dry tube feeders with a 8' pit and I have absolutely no problem going a full year without pumping. I honestly think I could go 1 1/2 years without pumping. Which makes it nice not having to pump in the spring.

From what I hear it sounds like dry feeders are what is performing best now for best ADG and feed conversion.

My barn built in 1997 started out as pens consisting of 25-27 pigs per pen. I converted it over to a scale barn back during the craze but probably wouldn't do that again. Scales certainly are not trouble free. I would look at going with pen sizes of approximately 75 head with good aisle flow. Look at different barns to see what works good for sorting and loading out. That is a the part of my sorter barn I really like, I can load out a semi-load of hogs with no outside help other then the trucker in very easily under 45 minutes, most times in 30-35 minutes. Finding help during load outs was a pain in butt and a lot more work.

Are you planning on custom finishing or feeding your own? From what I hear there are a lot of barns sitting empty now waiting to be filled. With high priced feed their are less people wanting to feed hogs, but that changes from year to year.

I have no idea what it cost to build a barn anymore, just do your homework like it looks like you are and good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)